Job Title: E-commerce Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Merchandise Operations
The E-commerce Coordinator is responsible for managing the daily operations of the New-York Historical Society online store (a Shopify platform), while providing excellent customer service, and sales and merchandising support to the Museum Store. He/she provides leadership in museum store operations that impact directly on a guest’s experience while visiting the New-York Historical Society’s brick and mortar store, or online store. He/she is a creative and organized team player that thrives in a fast-paced, collegial environment. He/she works closely with the director of merchandise operations, the supervisor of merchandise operations and the museum store sales staff in fulfilling his/her responsibilities.
Coordinate all aspects of the New-York Historical Society online store.
- Write search engine optimized product descriptions, photograph products, retouch and size photos for optimal impact.
- Add and remove merchandise to online store. Keep collections and tags up to date. Update online merchandise quantities and memberships via database uploads.
- Analyze web statistics and use them to inform decisions that will steadily grow the business. Maintain statistics on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis, using data to analyze the effectiveness of campaigns, outreach and product mix, and preparing reports.
- Create and maintain a marketing and promotions plan that lists promotions and deadlines for a year in advance, including all eblasts and social media.
- Design Museum Store eBlasts. and online store banners that promote special exhibition merchandise.
- Fill customer orders and process payments for web sales. Reconcile sales data with bank account activity, assuring impeccable internal controls.
- Manage day-to-day Customer Support operations for the online store via email and phone. Receive, investigate and respond to customer inquiries in a timely manner. Maintain procedures to ensure customer service satisfaction levels are attained, while fostering a work culture that is committed to superior customer service. Advocate on behalf of the customer during all business engagements to ensure a consistent and valuable experience for each customer. Encourage customers to submit more content for Product Ratings & Reviews. Build trust and credibility for product reviews.
- Prepare shipments for commercial conveyance. Order supplies for packaging needs, maintain inventory of packaging materials.
- Negotiate with major shipping vendors to secure the most economical and efficient rates and services. Determine and source equipment and supplies necessary for optimal shipping ease, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Graphics and Ancillary Responsibilities
- Assist with graphic design and visual materials for the museum store, including basic layouts for product development purposes. Create visual materials for the museum store, including signage, product information cards and hangtags.
- Provide coverage and support for the brick and mortar store as needed, including on some weekends. Ring sales, assist customers, and perform all museum store duties. Field calls from customers, sales representatives and vendors; follow through with customer inquiries.
- Assist as needed with inventory record keeping, duties related to retail store activity, wholesale sales, product development and licensing. Undertake projects of moderate complexity for merchandise department and perform broad range of administrative duties.
Qualifications: Candidate should have a bachelor’s degree and two years of demonstrated experience in development and maintenance of online retail ventures and online marketing efforts. He/she must be proficient with PhotoShop, HTML, Google Analytics, ecommerce platforms, data base management, shipping logistics, POS systems (RetailPro a plus), Excel and the entire Microsoft Office suite. He/she must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, superb customer relations and sales skills, problem-solving skills, professionalism, flexibility and pro-activeness. Understanding of non-profit/museum retailing a plus. Candidate must have the genuine desire to progress the institution’s mission.
Working Conditions: Must be able to work at a computer station for extended periods of time and be physically capable of lifting and carrying boxes of up to 40lbs.
Applying for the Position:
For consideration, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com. In the subject line please reference the job title. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.