Job Title: Security Officer
Department: Security / Operations
Reports to: Director, Security Operations
This position insures the safety of the collection, building, visitors and staff. Makes tours of the facility, may be stationed at a post, use of electronic monitoring of the facility and reviewing who enters the facility. Maintains a safe and secure environment.
- Responsible for the protection of the collection, protection from vandalism; theft; and damage from fire, floods and other outside sources.
- Responsible for keeping all people on the premises safe and secure
- Stands at a post observing all the activity in the area
- Tours the facility observing all activity in the area
- Reacts to all emergency situations
- Maintains log of all tours
- Communicate to staff and visitors when action must be taken
- Respond quickly and immediately to any directives by the Police or Fire Departments
- Monitor the CCTV Security system and Fire Command Center
- Manage emergency evacuation when necessary
- Responsible for access control in and out of the building
- Respond to visitors questions and if necessary forward them to the appropriate person.
- Announce all visitors who are coming to see a staff member
- When stationed at the loading dock must handle incoming phone calls
- Will occasionally be required to work at N-YHS events that are off- site. These events may include but not limited to Public Programs and Exhibitions
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Must have 3-5 years prior Security Officer experience
- Successfully completed the 8 hour NY State certificate required
- CCTV experience required.
- Fire Guard license preferred
- Experience with various computer applications including email required
- When monitoring Security and Fire systems must be able to dispatch personnel to area or location according to floor plan
- Must be fluent in English
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
Essential Physical Functions
Individual must possess visual acuity and good hearing, able to stand on post for long periods of time. Walk, bend and lift moderate weights.
This facility has Security Officers on duty 24 hours a day. All Security Officers must be available to work all shifts.
Applying for the Position
For consideration, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.