Visitor Services Supervisor
The New-York Historical Society is seeking a supervisor for its visitor services department. The supervisor oversees New-York Historical’s admissions desk, coat check, switchboard, and call center. The workweek for this position is Wednesday through Sunday.
This position reports to the Director of Visitor Services and directly oversees 15 - 20 visitor services associates, carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and all applicable laws. Responsibilities include training and evaluating employee performance; planning, scheduling, and overseeing regular department work in consultation with the department director; addressing visitor complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One-to-two years museum/arts supervisory experience or related retail experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs/Drive; experience with retail and database software, especially Blackbaud Altru; basic graphic design/layout skills a plus
- Excellent problem solving, organization, leadership, and communication skills and familiarity with customer service best practices
- High level of verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with customers, employees, and volunteers with an outgoing positive attitude
- Effective presentation and training skills, with large or small groups
To perform this position successfully, the ideal applicant will:
- have cash handling experience and the ability to accurately account for all revenue on a daily/weekly/monthly basis including well-organized and prompt processing of all invoices and daily deposit reports
- be able to train associates in the areas of general procedures, register operations, current public programs, company policy, emergency procedures, and good customer service
- be able to ensure that cash register operations, cash handling, theft prevention, and inventory processes are carried out properly
- be able to develop and maintain good working relationships with all visitor services associates while setting and maintaining the necessary standards for a professional customer service team
While the employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is full-time, salaried position with health benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. For consideration please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.