JOB TITLE: Controller
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for organizing and directing the Finance Department’s day-to-day activities, month-end and fiscal year-end closing processes. Supervise a team of three staff members who process payroll, accounts payables, cash receipts and other financial transactions. This is a hands-on position that prepares and maintains complex Excel spreadsheets.
EDUCATION: CPA and/or MBA or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum five years relevant experience, including staff supervision.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP for Not-For-Profits.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft and Google environment.
- Financial Edge experience or experience with other complex general ledger software of the same generation.
- Knowledge of payroll and accounts payable legal requirements.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Collaborative team player, multi-tasker and flexible.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for maintenance of and staff training for general ledger software (Financial Edge) and its related modules, accounts payable and cash receipts. In connection with this process oversee or supervise the structure and maintenance of chart of accounts and reporting formats generated by GL software.
- Responsible for/Supervise the co-ordination with other departments and third-party software packages that support transactions imported to or manually recorded in general ledger.
- Supervise three staff responsible for day-to-day, hands-on processing of ADP payroll, accounts payable, cash receipts and certain journal processes.
- Responsible for/Supervise monthly close out reconciliations and other close out processes, including bank reconciliation, reconciliation of contributions, museum admissions and ticket sales to third-party software.
- Responsible for the annual financial audit process and preparation of related statements, notes and supporting schedules.
- Responsible for the preparation of Forms 990, 990T, CHAR500 and other filings as required.
- Responsible for preparation of certain financial surveys, including Cultural Data Project and U.S. Department of Commerce surveys.
- Work closely with Development Department for proper coding of gifts.
- Assist in financial management of travelling exhibition program.
- Co-ordinate with Human Resources for the audit of 403(b) plan and preparation of 5500 filing.
- Maintain endowment and investment records and entries to the general ledger.
- Responsible for/Supervise the distribution of monthly reports to staff and other reports as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary. For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer