Director of Special Events
Job Title: Director of Special Events
Department: Special Events
Reports to: Vice President for Development
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. New-York Historical is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The New-York Historical Society seeks an experienced Special Events Director who will lead the special events team in booking external event rentals. This position will focus primarily on the sales and marketing aspect of event planning as well as the event production through successful completion of event. The Director manages the Special Events Manager and Special Events Associate.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to increase client base and market awareness of external event opportunities
- Cultivate relationships with new potential clients as well as strengthen relationships with existing clients to ensure steady, incoming inquiries
- Develop and execute a marketing plan to enhance event rentals and revenue
- Project, manage and track department budget
- Create contracts and invoices. Manage payment collection
- Handle site visits, sales calls and email correspondence
- Oversee and coordinate day-of event production with external client, internal operations staff and outside vendors
- Work with internal Museum departments regarding scheduling, setup and breakdown of events, security, maintenance, A/V and all other operational needs
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of Museum’s Master Calendar, the online tool for all internal and external bookings, in order to secure all spaces required to successfully operate events
- Oversee exclusive, on-site caterer to ensure they are effectively meeting external client needs as well as operating according to internal Museum guidelines
- Manage relationships with all preferred vendors as well as new vendors involved in events
- Support the Development department’s fundraising, stewardship, and other internal events, including consulting on all event logistics. For the four largest annual fundraising events, work alongside external event consultant to oversee and communicate event logistics, create development staff responsibilities and provide on-site event supervision and assistance
- Additional duties as requested or required
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of seven years of special event experience with a proven track record of managing a diverse array of events for a medium to large-sized organization
- Strong sales background with experience in events marketing
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Handles pressure with grace and diplomacy; able to anticipate problems and present solutions quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with an array of Senior Leadership and Board Members, providing excellent guidance, attention and follow through
- Team player with an ability to deal tactfully and professionally with colleagues, vendors and clients
- Knowledge of Museum development operations/fundraising a plus
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift (up to 25 lbs), bend, stoop, walk and stand for 4-6 hours daily. Occasional sedentary computer work required.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer