High School Internships
“I met a lot of new and interesting people. I successfully completed a research project and comfortably presented in front of an audience. I have gotten to know and love this museum setting.” – Tyler Lee, 2012 Student Historian
Interested in a unique, hands-on experience at New York’s oldest museum? The New-York Historical Society offers two sessions of the Student Historian Internship Program each year (Academic Year and Summer).
The Student Historian High School Internship Program is designed for students in grades 10, 11, and 12 in the tri-state area. The Student Historian Program is a comprehensive internship and youth development program that provides students with vocational and academic training, public speaking and leadership skills, and an increased understanding of American art and history. Through object- and inquiry-based learning, students broaden their academic perspective, increase their confidence in professional settings, and enhance their knowledge of fulfilling careers in the museum world.
Upcoming Dates to Know:
Summer 2016 Program:
- Application available: Currently
- Deadline: April 15, 2016
- Program dates: July 5, 2016–August 11, 2016, Tuesday–Thursday, 10 am–3 pm
Academic Year 2016–17 Program:
- Application available: June 2016
- Deadline: October 2016
- Program dates: November 2016 to June 2017, Wednesdays from 4 pm to 6:30pm, plus occasional Friday hours
Please note: Applicants must be available every day of the program
We are now accepting applications for the SUMMER 2016 Student Historian Program! See below for more information about the internship program and how to apply.
Participation in the Student Historian program includes:
- Researching art, artifacts, and documents from New-York Historical's collections to create resources for Museum visitors and the New-York Historical Society website
- Training to work with diverse audiences as facilitators in the museum galleries and the DiMenna Children’s History Museum
- Contributing to social media accounts at the New-York Historical Society, including the Student Historian blog
- Assisting with public programs, family programs, and other special events at the New-York Historical Society
- Meeting with experts from the Museum and Library departments to discuss both the Museum’s collections and career options
- Visiting other museums and cultural institutions throughout New York City
The New-York Historical Society Student Historian Program is open to students who meet ALL of the following qualifications:
- You must be entering grades 10, 11, or 12 in Fall 2016 in a high school in the Tri-State area or will be entering your freshman year of college
- You have the consent of your parent/guardian to apply for this program.
- You have (or can obtain by the start of the program, if accepted) valid working papers. For complete information about obtaining working papers, visit http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/wphmpg.shtm
- Paid internships may be offered to interns who are eligible for free or reduced lunch at school. All applicants attending NYC high schools will be considered for this opportunity. Please be sure to specify on your application if you are eligible for free or reduced lunch at your school. Unpaid internships will be provided for all other accepted students, with the option to receive community service hours or school credit
- Students offered paid internships must have all documents necessary to be employed in the United States for the duration of the internship (accepted applicants are responsible for the cost of procuring any documentation related to seeking employment in the United States before their first day). For more information on required documents for employment, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
To apply, the following must be submitted:
- The application form should be completed by the applicant and submitted by April 15, 2016.
- The recommendation form must be completed by ONE recommender (on the applicant’s behalf) and submitted by April 15, 2016. Please direct recommenders to the link above
- If you have difficulty submitting the online application, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form in a different format
Deadline for all application materials: Friday, April 15 at 5 pm.
Applicants being considered for the internship will be contacted for a group interview in the few weeks following the deadline. While we appreciate your enthusiasm and interest in having an internship with us, please refrain from contacting us to check on the status of your application as we are currently receiving a large volume of mail. If you haven't heard from us for more than a few weeks and need answers, send us an email and we will do our best to give you an update on the status of your application.
If you have any questions about high school internships, please e-mail us at email@example.com
The Student Historian High School Internship Program is supported by a generous grant from The New York Life Foundation and through an endowment established by The Peter Jay Sharp Foundation.