Discover dynamic education programs and curriculum resources about the history of our city, state, and nation.
Fourth Grade: How did New York become the city is it today?
This series is designed to dovetail with the fourth grade Social Studies Scope and Sequence, providing students with hands-on opportunities to further explore the topics you are covering in your social studies lessons.
From the first native peoples to the influx of immigrants in the late 19th century, students will trace the growth of the city through the material culture previous generations left behind. At the end of the series students will work in teams using everything they learned to create a timeline of the city of New York that demonstrates how and why the city changed over time.
- Session 1: New York’s First People
- Session 2: Life in New Amsterdam
- Session 3: Life in British New York
- Session 4: Slavery in New York
- Session 5: The American Revolution in New York
- Session 6: New York, New Nation
- Session 7: New York Divided—The Civil War
- Session 8: Immigration
- Session 9: Culmination—Visual Timeline