Title: Museum Store Sales Associate
Reports To: Supervisor of Merchandise Operations
Hourly rate of $12.00
Please note this is a term position expected to be from between February 22, 2016 to September 25, 2016.
The purpose of our museum store is to extend the educational and scholarly mission of the New-York Historical Society, to contribute to the operating budget, to promote our institution through product development and retail marketing, and to provide a unique educational experience to customers.
Position Summary: The sales associate is responsible for providing outstanding customer service and for performing operational duties that drive sales through merchandising, register functions, store cleanliness, and other related duties. The store associate represents the New-York Historical Society to our customers. Associates must be courteous, efficient and have a genuine desire to sell to customers so that their needs and expectations are met or exceeded.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Qualifications: Candidate must have a minimum of two years’ experience in retail sales and customer service. He/she must be proficient with basic computer skills. He/she must be comfortable and professional interacting with the public.
Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs, and stand for long time periods of time.
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with customers and coworkers.
- Use product information and available resources to educate customers and assist them in making product selections that are right for them resulting in increased sales for the museum store.
- Serve customers promptly. Minimize wait time and delays.
- Participate in learning and development activities such as store meetings, product tours and all other training provided by the New-York Historical Society.
- Collaborate with the store team to support and achieve the goals of the store and the New-York Historical Society.
- Clean shelves, counters, tables, railings, baseboards, floors and product according to store policy and as directed by senior sales associate and merchandise department supervisor.
- Assist in unloading stock, checking products against invoice, pricing merchandise, preparing customer purchases for commercial conveyance, cleaning storage areas and displaying product.
- Assist in duties associated with physical inventory, including counting and tallying merchandise, and careful packing and storage of surplus product.
- Aid the senior sales associate and merchandise supervisor in the implementation of merchandising and operational procedures.
- Identify and document the return of damaged product. Record customer product suggestions. Relay reorder notifications to buyer.
- Operate the point of sale cash register and prepare customer receipts efficiently. Total price, tax and shipping and handling charges accurately. Balance cash register at the end of each shift or as scheduled.
- Follow management direction in completing other duties as required.
- Undertake projects of moderate complexity for merchandise department and perform broad range of duties as requested, including, but not limited to, participating in museum store offsite sales.
- Educate customers about the New-York Historical Society through engaging conversations about the institution, exhibitions and collections. Promote the institution through the sale of memberships at the register.
For consideration please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.