Museum Store Sales Associate – Seasonal (Part-Time)
JOB TITLE: Museum Store Sales Associate – Seasonal (Part-Time)
DEPARTMENT: NYHistory Store
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Merchandise Operations
The NYHistory Store at the New-York Historical Society is seeking temporary, part-time Sales Associates for our Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition shop. In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the U.S. publication of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, New-York Historical will capture the traditions of folklore and magic at the heart of the Harry Potter stories in the exhibition Harry Potter: A History of Magic. The NYHistory Store will extend the experience of the exhibition and provide a magical experience to customers.
The Sales Associate is responsible for providing outstanding customer service and for performing operational duties that drive sales through merchandising, register functions, store cleanliness, and other related duties. The store Associate represents the New-York Historical Society to our customers. Associates must be courteous, efficient, and have a genuine desire to sell to customers so that their needs and expectations are met or exceeded.
This is a seasonal position that will run the course of our Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition, scheduled to close on January 27, 2019. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with customers and coworkers.
- Use product information and available resources to educate customers and assist them in making product selections that are right for them resulting in increased sales for the museum store.
- Serve customers promptly. Minimize wait time and delays.
- Participate in learning and development activities such as store meetings, product tours and all other training provided by the New-York Historical Society.
- Collaborate with the store team to support and achieve the goals of the store and the New-York Historical Society.
- Clean shelves, counters, tables, railings, baseboards, floors and product according to store policy and as directed by senior sales associate and merchandise department supervisor.
- Assist in unloading stock, checking products against invoice, pricing merchandise, preparing customer purchases for commercial conveyance, cleaning storage areas and displaying product.
- Assist in duties associated with physical inventory, including counting and tallying merchandise, and careful packing and storage of surplus product.
- Aid the senior sales associate and merchandise supervisor in the implementation of merchandising and operational procedures.
- Identify and document the return of damaged product. Record customer product suggestions. Relay reorder notifications to buyer.
- Operate the point of sale cash register and prepare customer receipts efficiently. Total price, tax and shipping and handling charges accurately. Balance cash register at the end of each shift or as scheduled.
- Follow management direction in completing other duties as required.
- Undertake projects of moderate complexity for merchandise department and perform broad range of duties as requested, including, but not limited to, participating in museum store offsite sales.
- Educate customers about the New-York Historical Society through engaging conversations about the institution, exhibitions and collections. Promote the institution through the sale of memberships at the register.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs, and stand for long time periods of time.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.